Tuesday, September 21, 2004

This shouldn't be so difficult

As we reach the final stages of cleaning out the old family home (which Marc and I are going to extensively renovate before moving in), we find ourselves left with a lot of furniture for which we have no need. So we've been trying to give it away to charity.

I started with Goodwill Industries. They help people trying to get a fresh start in life, so it seemed like a noble use for all of this stuff. The problem is that they don't pick up furniture. If I'd like to rent a truck and bring it to them, they'd be happy to pick through it and take whatever they deem suitable.

Excuse me? They've got to be kidding. I really want to see these things go to good use, but why must they make it so difficult?

Others have online lists of what they'll take. One of them rejects all beds and mattresses. I understand their concern. I work in a hospital, and I know bad things can lurk in fabrics. We have a special case, however.

So I called this particular charity--one that specializes in placing homeless people in new living quarters--and explained that my Mom had purchased a new mattress and box spring right before she died. The thing still has the tags on it! It's brand new.

Nope. They wouldn't budge. If I'd like to buy them new mattresses, etc., right from a manufacturer, they'd take that. This set, however, they refuse to take.

Have all of these charities become so bureaucratic and short-sighted that they are rejecting gifts that could be helping the people they purport to serve? It would seem so.

There are all too many places in this world where people are lucky if they have any shelter at all. Some of those places are right here in the United States. People are living under highway overpasses or trying to survive on the street, and I can't get anyone to take several pieces of good, solid, useable furniture. Where have we gone wrong? This is truly depressing.

I don't want to put these things at the curb for the town to pick up. Granted, many pieces will be taken by people looking for free stuff (actually, town pickups usually are small, because the large amount that goes to the curb gets picked over before they get there... and we live in a nice area!*), but some of it will wind up in the town dump. That's just a waste, and I hate to see it happen.

-----------------------

*If we lived in/near a more run-down area, I'd be happier about people picking over the stuff at the curb. However, these people aren't people in need. No, they're just looking for free stuff. How noble of them. If they gave more and horded less, maybe life would be better for everyone!

No comments: