Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Perspective is everything (even for hurricanes, it seems)

When I was a kid, we had a few hurricanes make it all the way up here to Long Island without falling apart. I was so excited when that happened. A hurricane! Wow!

I've always found the power of nature fascinating. Whether it was hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes or any of the other manifestations of nature's power, each of which amply demonstrates human insignificance, I found it all amazing.

So the opportunity to experience the howling winds and pummeling rain of a hurricane was a treat. Storm surge right here at our beaches? Wow!

Of course, I grew up in a house where learning was strongly encouraged, and science was an important field. We were... you know... Jews. ;)

During one of the hurricanes, the eye went right over us. My Dad took me in the back yard as the eye passed over. We discussed the mechanics of the hurricane and how this oasis of calm existed in the middle of such a violent storm.

As a kid, there was no downside to hurricanes.

Now, as an adult, I approach hurricanes from a different perspective. I recognize the fragility of human life. I also recognize the fragility of the roof on my house and possess a healthy respect for the 3% "windstorm deductible" the fucking insurance company has on homeowner's coverage these days.

I still like hurricanes, just from a distance. Also, my emotions are mixed, depending upon where they go. For example, given Virginia's latest hate-inspired anti-gay legislation, I'd have a hard time shedding a tear if a Category 5 storm made a beeline for the Virginia statehouse. ;)

Ah, yes, life changes things. It's all about your perspective.

1 comment:

PatCH said...

Life changes indeed. As a kid in the Caribbean, I'd secretly wish for hurricanes to hit us so that we'd have a day off from school. Now, as an adult, it's different. Oh, I still get excited and still wish, all right, but now it's not such a secret. I love storms.