Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A slow boil

Something that I've known for a long time, something of which I was reminded yesterday, is, for some reason, really irritating me now.

Yesterday, I donated blood. I've done this on many occasions. Each time, they ask many questions. One of the questions for which an affirmative answer will cause the blood collectors to deem a man's blood unfit for transfusion is, since 1977, have you had sex with another man, even once?

In other words, all of us fags are likely to be diseased and dangerous. Sorry, but that's an unbelievable load of bullshit.

I know...not think, KNOW...that my blood is free of HIV. I was tested back when I was at the same risk that any dating man, straight or gay, has to worry about. I was tested after entering the monogamous relationship that I've been in for years.

There is far more chance of the average unmarried (perhaps even married, too) straight man transmitting a dread disease through a blood donation than there is of me transmitting one... as I'm sure many gay men could say, too, despite what others seem to think.

Even so, I am branded, as is every other gay man. We're dangerous and diseased. I won't let this narrow view keep me from helping, but it still pisses me off.

Oh, and how do I answer that question? Take a guess!

2 comments:

Bruce said...

Yes, this has bothered me for a long time, too!

PatCH said...

Infuriating indeed. Time to change the rules, no? Ridiculous.