Sunday, September 05, 2004

A day of sadness, fun, sadness

Yet another day of hard choices at Mom's house (what to save, what to let go, etc.) took a turn for the better when we got home and fired up the barbecue. With a hearty serving of health food (burgers & franks) hot off the grill, my mood picked right up. With Marc's sauteed squash and his cucumber salad, it was a lovely meal.

Then, lacking anything else to watch on TV, we put on the Jerry Lewis telethon. To be perfectly honest, we first switched it on to see if Jerry looked any better than last year.

So we've now had it on for about three quarters of an hour, and what have we just watched? A tribute to Mattie Stepanek, the 13-year-old boy who was famous for writing poetry. It's very noble that they are taking time for "Remembering Mattie Stepanek".

One could see this as a cheap attempt to raise more money, but, unlike so many other efforts to rake in cash, this one seems on target. The poor boy died of muscular dystrophy, so it's appropriate that he is remembered this way.

Even so, I guess I can kiss my lightheartedness goodbye for the evening. sigh

Oh well. Maybe I can go look at the pictures of Koji Murofushi on Wayne's blog for a little pick-me-up. Okay, so this will be about the tenth time looking at them today. What can I say? Wayne has good taste.

2 comments:

PatCH said...

Koji will make you lighthearted again and again... and again.

Jalal said...

I have never watched even one telethon.