Friday, September 03, 2004

I’m not so think as you drunk I am!

Last night, Marc and I joined several friends at Barrage for some “quick drinks.” Aside from seeing folks we already knew and loved, we got to meet some people we'd only met or heard about online (I'd list them here, but I'm afraid of forgetting someone!). All of the folks, new and old, were lovely to spend time with.

As for the drinks, I started with a couple of Malibu Rum & Cokes and then progressed to something they called the “Pearl Necklace”. Now, what gay boy could turn away a drink with a name like that? I forget the other ingredients, but I know it had a lot of vodka in it.

Thanks to a round generously bought by Bob, I even had an extra one of these lovely drinks after having decided I’d had enough. (Of course, Bob didn't know I was done, and it was very nice of him to buy another round for us. My mistake was drinking every drop of it!)

What’s eye-opening is how easily I can get nearly-drunk. As I’m sure I told a number of people last night at Barrage, I felt like a complete lightweight. Thinking back to my college days (a period that, sadly, is getting to be so many years ago that I should stop comparing myself to me in those days), the amount I drank last night would have just given me a bit of a buzz.

Instead, both Marc and I were really feeling the EtOH last night. I suppose that's good in a way. If I wanted to get a buzz, at least I could do it more cost effectively now. :)

So Marc and I made an exit from Barrage around 10:15, having decided that we wanted to go get some Thai food at Lemongrass Grill in the Village. Unfortunately, they were closing up when we got there. So we made our way across the street to Bleecker Street Pizza and had a couple of slices.

Then we began our trek home. I must say, I have never, in all my years as a New Yorker, seen so many police officers in one place as I did in Penn Station last night. Fortunately, they had very little to do, as did we at that point, and we made it home in one piece.

2 comments:

PatCH said...

Glad you boys could make it out last night for a quick drink.

Carrie said...

Sounds like you had a great time last night! It's amazing how our tolerance for "the drink" decreases over time, eh? I guess that's a part of being an "adult." :)