Friday, August 06, 2004

It beats the view of East New York

Last year, I changed jobs. My old job was in Brooklyn, on the border between the Brownsville and East New York neighborhoods. So a short drive to the east would reward me with the urban poverty of East New York.

Now I work in Amityville (yes, as in, The Amityville Horror, but that's literally another story). Amityville is on the south shore of Long Island.

Late today, I decided that it would serve me well to get out of the office. I took some paperwork that I needed to review and hit the road. So, is the view a little east of me better than a drive through East New York? You tell me...




That's the Fire Island lighthouse. It's at Robert Moses State Park, on the western end of Fire Island. It's the only part of Fire Island to which one may drive.

On occasion, I will grab some work and go down there. There's a beautiful beach, and my favorite thing to do is park in the lot where I can see and hear the waves rolling in. Not only is it relaxing, but I actually get a ton of work done without the distractions of the office.

My only regret is that I don't more often take advantage of being on this beautiful island. We have so many lovely parks and beaches, and I only occasionally get out to enjoy it all. One nice thing about having friends come visit is that I have a reason to get out. So somebody come visit already! ;)

(Actually, our friend Scott is visiting and is sitting five feet from me as I type this, but I had to work today, so I couldn't get out with him.)

1 comment:

PatCH said...

How lovely and so very different from the view from my office here in midtown. *sigh* I need a vacation.