Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Don’t get sick in a hospital!

Yeah, I know. What the heck is that subject? What are you talking about, boy?

Well, as my faithful fans may recall (both of you?), I was a bit under the weather early last week, but I quickly got back on my feet and headed back to work. Unfortunately, today brought a recurrence. I haven’t been 100% since last week, but I thought the main symptoms had passed. Well, maybe not.

Early this afternoon, I again felt feelings of nausea and chills. So I said to my boss (the hospital Administrator (who is also an RN)) if there was a thermometer nearby, so I could just check my temperature. Oh yeah, there was a thermometer, as well as various other pieces of medical equipment. Yes, I let her lead me to the Emergency Room. I thought they’d just check my vital signs and send me on my way, but noooooooo.

Instead, I got a complete check… and I mean complete!

Yes, they heard “nausea” and other symptoms and decided to rule out heart problems (despite my having had a checkup just two weeks ago and no prior evidence of heart problems).

They checked my vital signs, took several vials of blood, did an EKG, checked the oxygen saturation level in my blood, took an x-ray of my chest and then proceeded to give me a saline IV.

They even called a cardiologist. It’s certainly nice to know that I’m very healthy in a cardiovascular sense, but I really just wanted to make sure I didn’t have a fever. Oh, and the diagnosis? “WEAKNESS/FATIGUE UNKNOWN CAUSE viral syndrome” (that's an exact quote from the sheet they gave me, right down to the perplexing choice of upper and lower case letters)

In English, they think I have a virus, but they don't really know what's wrong. Uh huh. I think I knew that.

Don’t get me wrong. Once again, it’s nice to know they care. It was nice that the Director of Nursing and various other department heads came to check on me. It was nice that the CFO checked on me before I was sent home for the day.

Even so, I think I just needed to go pull the blankets up over my head and sleep, only to be awakened from time to time by Marc, so he could give me chicken soup and then molest me once I feel better. ;)

No comments: