Saturday, January 06, 2007

What a wonderful day!

The weather was unbelievably warm today. While I'm concerned about global warming, I don't think that's the cause. It's more likely to be part of the world's cyclical patterns and the randomness of weather. Global warming may have some small impact, but I think that's more of a long-term concern (and I'm expecting wilder weather overall).

Anyhow, whatever the cause, at one point today the temperature was 72 degrees fahrenheit as we ran errands. After a few stops, we decided to head to the beach to take a few shots as the sunlight faded. After all, what's the point of living on an island if you don't make it to the beach every so often?

Happily, I had my wonderful partner with me...



We saw some families enjoying the day and a few guys who were surfing along while giant kites pulled them. I don't think this is parasailing. I think parasailing is where something powered on the surface (like a boat) pulls you, so a parachute makes you fly into the air. I'm not sure what this was called. Whatever it was, it looked like fun. They'd skim along the water on small surfboards while their kites (they looked too small for parachutes, but maybe not) sped them along. A few times, they even got lifted a short distance into the air.

Whatever this was called, their efforts to bring down the kites/'chutes at the end of their efforts added to the scenery for my photos. Here's one I took then...


BE SURE to click on this one for a larger version.


I'm thinking of making the full-resolution version of that last one into a huge print. I really like it, along with a few of the other sunset shots.

6 comments:

pinknest said...

that is an absolutely spectacular photo! gorgeous. and how lovely that you guys got to go to the beach. although, yes, the weather frightens me. 72 in nyc, el nino, ice floes breaking off, third winter wallop in colorado...it's all crazy.

Anonymous said...

Marc looks SO handsome in that photo! (Well, he IS handsome, but it captures him well, is what I meant.) And that second photo...gasp, spectacular!!!

Jess said...

pinknest & andy: Thanks for the compliments! And Andy, what you said's going to go right to Marc's head! ;)

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo!

Happy New Year!

Bruce said...

Yes, that photo is gorgeous! And you & your hubby aren't too shabby, either! :-)

Happy New Year!

W said...

man, that's beautiful!