Sunday, January 21, 2007

Two ads? TWO ADS?!?!

Oh, for crying out loud, this is ridiculous. I know that most job vacancies wind up on Monster.com or Careerbuilder or a similar site, but the Sunday Times has remained a source for some good openings. That's where I found my current (soon-to-be former) job.

So today I opened the Times. Of course, the "Job Market" section isn't like it once was. Several years ago, it would be two thick sections. Now, with so many ads lost to the Internet, it's one section. One thin section.

Even so, there are usually some decent ads in my field each week. So now, when I'm looking for work, how many are there? Two! Neither is of any use to me (of course), but, whether they are or aren't, the tiny number of ads is ridiculous.

But then this fits. When I'm happily ensconced in a job, headhunters call regularly with job openings. As soon as there's instability at the job or the job is lost, the phone magically stops ringing.

Yes, yes. Everything will be fine. I'm just frustrated, but life will go on.

In the meantime, I'll go to the mystery interview tomorrow. Perhaps it will be a job I'd want. Likely? Nah. But it could happen.

7 comments:

Wayne said...

Remember, at the mysterious interview, scream if you feel unfortable, like, you know, interviewer touching your knees and stuff...etc.

Anonymous said...

I've been contacted by a couple of recruiters recently from out west. On Monster.com, my resume is accompanied by a description of what I do along with what I'm looking for, with the "mission statement" (I hate those, but thought it was useful this time) that I'm looking to work for a company more interested in making change than money. Thought that was clever and to the point.

So this guy emails and says he has JUST the job for me, please call him right away. Executive Assistant at a Top Real Estate Investment Firm!

Ummm...barf?

Good luck with the search!

Jess said...

Wayne: Um, thanks for the advice. You bring a perspective that's uniquely yours! :)

Andy: Yeah, I got one of those "just the job for you" e-mails a few weeks ago (before I even was looking). It was my big chance to sell Fords. Um, yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

Blobby said...

A-fuckin-men!

They say the best time to look for a job is when you have one (hence the recruiters while you have one?), but the reality is, a good/true job search is almost a full-time job.

Mine has been a long four month process where recruiters called, loved what i told them, only to never be heard from again.

For me - it's come down 100% to networking. Because of it, I have a verbal offer for a position I only kind of want. It's not my ideal, but a boy needs to work and eat.

Jess said...

Blobby: Yeah, that's the thing. It would be nice to hold out for an "ideal" job, but the bills do start to pile up!

What's really irritating is that I really like my current job. On top of that, the members of senior management of the hospital wanted me to have/keep the job, but the people at the very top of the network apparently had their favorite. What she did to become the favorite is unknown to me, but whatever it was it worked!

Oh well, life will go on. I'm just frustrated!

Will said...

Jess, sorry this has to be, but best of luck with the interviews.

Lee said...

so, how did the mystery interview go?