Thursday, November 04, 2004

New digs

As I once mentioned before, I've worked for over a year in a lovely structure that has housed Human Resources (or "Personnel", as the ancient sign on the building says) since long before I got there. It looks something like this:



Yes, and it's as lovely inside as outside. The building groans ominously when the wind blows, and my office was so lovely that various visitors have actually commented that the surroundings were beneath my education and experience. Well, as nice as that was for my ego, it wasn't exactly a morale booster, since I still had to work there.

Today, the HR offices got moved to the main hospital...



The new office is great. Here are a couple of shots of my new digs:





As you can see, the floor is two different colors (due to some damage they once had to repair--apparently, they couldn't get a matching color). Even so, considering the fact that the old office had nasty, ancient carpet that no machine could get clean, this is a far superior surface for supporting my feet:



Oh, and did I mention that this office comes with my own private bathroom (not to be confused with My Own Private Idaho but still nice):





The icing on the cake? Before I ever got in, the Director of Housekeeping/Grounds, along with members of my staff and his staff, had gotten much of the office set up. Things were on my desk...



...and my diplomas, pictures, etc., were on the walls...







I'm not a tough boss. Yes, I've had to fire people now and then, but that's a rare thing. Decent employees get excellent treatment from me--I'm more often getting them raises than issuing discipline.

So I like to think this type of gesture is made because I'm liked, not because I outrank these folks. Either way, it was nice to walk in and find so much done. I really only had to go through some boxes and put things where I wanted before I could be ready to get to work.

The only downside of this move is that my not-so-hot office furniture really looks crappy in the new surroundings. Oh well, that's a small thing. Overall, this was a good move.

Now, the question is how long until the big bosses decide HR might work even better in yet another part of the campus. :)

1 comment:

Wayne said...

OH WOW! LOoks so NICE!!
and... YOUR VERY OWN PRIVATE BATHROOM WITH FANCY SINK?!?!

I"m so JEALOUS!!!!!!!!