Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Am I the only one who can't remember book names?

It seems like anyone/everyone can answer questions about what books they're currently reading. This, however, is something I often can't do.

I'm always reading something. Usually, I have a few (or several) books going at once. I'll read a little of one, then decide I can't wait to read one of the others and so on. So my night stand has a number of books on it at any given time.

Even so, I'm very bad at remembering the names of anything I'm reading. If the subject comes up in conversation, I can usually describe the types of books but not the names or authors. I feel like the other participants in the conversation must think I'm illiterate and trying to cover it up!

I reached a new low this morning when I saw David Sedaris mentioned on Salon. I finished one of his books a few weeks ago, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Then I looked at Salon's list. Mr. Sedaris had four books on it, but, after looking at the names, I still couldn't remember which one it was. Only when I clicked on a link so I could see the cover art did I remember with any certainty which book it was.

Sad. Just sad.

3 comments:

Michael Vernon said...

I'm in the book business. Sometimes I come up with titles. Sometimes I can't even remember the titles I suggest. You are not alone.

Jalal said...

Who cares whether you remember the names or not if you can enjoy the books that you read.

Greg said...

Being a bookwhore myself - and having a blog - I've a bookshelf completely filled with books. I usually read about 4 at a time and have taken to listing them in my blog's sidebar. I also review them and post the reviews on Amazon so I can go back and look at titles that I've read. My brain can only hold so much information....