Sunday, November 28, 2004

Against the laws of nature!

No, this isn't about some new sexual position we've tried. This, actually, has to do with a trip to the supermarket (no, no sex in the aisles, either!). :)

Tonight, while grocery shopping, I saw excellent examples of an alleged vegetable of which I'd previously taken note but only in passing. Yes, I am speaking of broccoflower.

It's called broccoflower, because it looks like a combination of broccoli and cauliflower. I had heard that it actually was created as a hybrid of these two vegetables, but that apparently isn't the case. Amazing what you can learn on these Internets. (Do you think I owe W a royalty for using his term?) :)

Having seen it up close, I can confirm what I had suspected. As much as I find broccoli and cauliflower barely tolerable, this stuff is visually repulsive. Actually, it does bring one good feeling... a happy memory.

(This is where I go off on a tangent so sharp that you can almost hear tires squealing in the turn!) When I was a kid, we had a dog named Jet. Jet's birthday was on St. Patrick's Day.

Now, my Mom was an excellent cook, making all kinds of things from scratch, but one year Jet's birthday brought a real surprise.

Mom baked a green cake! Yes, green. Green cake, green icing--the whole thing was green, a birthday cake inspired by the holiday on which the birthday fell.

Knowing how good my Mom was in the kitchen, I knew it would taste good. The only question was, would Jet eat it? I should have realized that was a dumb question. Would Jet eat cake? Jet ate everything!

My Dad later described the scene as follows: Mom put down a large piece of cake in front of Jet. Jet looked at it, sniffed it, opened her mouth like a boa constrictor, unhinging her jaw to accommodate the entire piece, and vacuumed it in. Jet's only concern was how she could get more. :)

No comments: