Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A photo and memories

I don't have anything in particular to discuss today, so I thought I'd just toss one of my photos on here...



This is a shot I took at Zion National Park. As lovely as Zion was, it also marks a trip that I am very glad we took.

You see, my Mom mentioned that she wanted to see the national parks in the southwest. She found a tour run by Tauck that went to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Sedona and other places of interest.

Marc and I had discussed another trip to Europe, but we considered whether to set aside our plan so we could go with my Mom.

My Mom had fought her battle with cancer for years, but they had new, more effective treatments, and she had one of the best doctors in the business. The doctor said she would be fine--the disease could be held in check for many years.

So we agreed that it wasn't a "we better take Mom now, before it's too late" type of situation. Even so, the deciding part of our discussion went something like this: "Mom will be around for years, but we are likely to be around longer, so let's do what she wants to do. We can go to Europe another time." If nothing else, it was a trip she wanted to take with my Dad but never got to take, so why not let her go on that trip with ones she loved? We could never take my Dad's place, but our presence would make the trip better for her.

So we went out west with Mom.

It turned out that the doctor was wrong. Mom died in February--the cancer hadn't been held in check.

If we had gone to Europe instead of going out west with my Mom, I could rationalize all I would want--"Who could have known this would happen?"--but I would feel like a world class shit for the rest of my life. I am sooooooo thankful we went with her on that trip.

My Mom was as wonderful and loving a mother as anyone could ever have. We really didn't expect to lose her so soon, so taking the other path last year wouldn't have been so irrational a decision as it seems in retrospect. Even so...

Well, maybe things do happen for a reason. Maybe something guided us to take the right path.

So today I bring you a lovely picture in memory of one of the loveliest souls ever to grace this world. I miss you, Mom!

3 comments:

Wayne said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!


Beautiful. Both the Photos and Mom... Remember when we first met on the train? It was be Feb, 2004... And you were still talking about her...

SOmetimes, the unexpected happens..and caught us with a big bang....

It's the thought that counts. And Mom knows.

PatCH said...

The photo is among some of the loveliest you've taken, and I know how much this trip meant to you. The other photos I've seen from the trip are lovely, too, and I think you should share some of them with us here. Beautiful sentiments, Jess.

Bruce said...

The photo's not loading here, but ...

Zion is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. And, Jess, I'm so glad that you were able to share it with your mom.