Tuesday, October 26, 2004

It has begun

Most people would probably file this under "So what?" or "Big deal!" Even so, from an emotional perspective, it is a pretty big deal for me.

Today, our contractor started gutting what will be our new home. What it has been for many years is my family home. It's the home my parents bought after they got married, and it's where they had and raised me and my two brothers--not to mention other family members who lived and grew up there, but that's another (longer) story.

It took months for the contractor to get started, but he really hit the ground running today. The kitchen and downstairs bathroom are almost completely gutted.

Tonight, we went over to pull a last few things out of there. The allergy attack I had was terrible. Between the dust and whatever else was in the air from pulling out 50+ year old walls and insulation, I was a mess.

I'm also dealing with the emotions of seeing my parents' house torn apart. I know they'd be thrilled that I'm keeping the house and updating it for me and Marc. Even so, it's taking some adjustment.

I'm trying to focus on the future. The house is going to be lovely--it had better be, considering how the cost keeps escalating!

Anyhow, the house is going to be great. It will be all new inside--and done beautifully--so that will be great. Plus, it's a much bigger house than our current one, so we'll be able to have larger groups of friends over for dinner/parties. Yay! :)

All in all, it was a rough day (work was a bitch today, too), but the future is bright.

1 comment:

Will said...

It's great that you areremaking a family heritage especially for yourselves. Best wishes for much happiness!