Thursday, September 15, 2005

The threat to marriage

Gay couples are a threat to marriage? Well, no one has ever given me any logical explanation for how our getting married in any way impacts anyone else's marriage.

Of course, we gays can't sustain a monogamous, committed relationship. I mean, I can't even think of any such couples. Well, none except...

Marc & me... 10+ years
Our friends Tom & Steve... 28 years
Our friends Brad & Bob... 26 years
Patrick & Greg... how long, guys? 7 years now?
Matt & John... 7 years
Correction: Matt & John are close to 9 years
Bruce & John... 7 years

These are just a sampling of couples we know... the ones I could come up with off the top of my head. We know plenty of other committed, loving (not to mention tax-paying, just like straight people, law-abiding) couples.

So what's today's latest example of the sanctity of heterosexual marriage. Well, certainly the fact that the majority of straight marriages don't last should be enough, but just to put the icing on the cake...

Renee Zellweger and Country Music Star Kenny Chesney Have Four-Month Marriage Annulled

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi..Just had to say..we are a monogamous male couple from Minnesota. We've been together 61/2 years and going strong.

There are monogamous gay couples who are committed.

Have a great day...

Steve and Warren

Tuna Girl said...

Ugh. You know I'll never understand this supposed threat to marriage. The biggest threat to marriage in this country is the awful parents who raise their children with no sense of responsibility, commitment, or self.

*sigh* Sorry.

Your post also made me think of the many gay parents who love and raise wonderful children together, all without the benefits of a state marriage license.

PatCH said...

Oh, wait. Now we're supposed to pay taxes too?

Will said...

Fritz and I are at the 8 and a half year mark but have some rather older friends in Sydney who just celebrated 52 years--that's equal in length to 4745 Britney Spears first marriages.

I'm just saying.

Martijn said...

You have to be monogamous to be considered? damn...

Jess said...

Well, Martijn, it's not like all the straight couples are monogamous. That's just my view of things.

Martijn said...

It's more that we are not present in your list ;-) (10.5 years)

CoffeeDog said...

Yeah I saw that on CNN lst night - a real schoker, right!

Jess said...

Martijn: Well, now you're listed. :) It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list. It was just the couples I thought of at the moment I was typing it. Thanks for joining in!

teh l4m3 said...

There are my good friends Paul & Vincent...15+ years.

Tho' in the spirit of full disclosure I should admit that as a single gay I've been a threat to several marriages...But homewrecking just isn't as thrilling as it used to be...

Andy said...

I'm not really into the whole celebrity thing, but I'm allergic to Renee Zellwegger. I can't WAIT to find out what the "fraud" she cited in the divorce filing is. This HAS to be good.

Let's not talk about monogamy; the last person I invited to dinner declined.

Jase said...

"Threat" to marriage, like having same-sex couples will somehow make opposite-sex couples spontaneously explode or something.

I'm glad the public figures up in Mass. started realizing that the sky really isn't falling.

The Persian said...

Monogamy is a big thing for me, I just don't understand having a relationship without it. And "playing" without each other yet coming home to the same house and bed each night is just wrong. So many long term couples I know (5 years+) live this way..sex might be just sex, but eh this just doesn't sit well with me on so many levels..anyway Great Blog :)