Monday, September 05, 2005

Even scarier

As much as John Roberts worried me as a nominee for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, he doesn't give me a warm feeling as Bush's nominee for Chief Justice.

It's particularly troubling that Bush is in such a rush to get him nominated. Rehnquist's body isn't even cold yet (although I'd bet his soul is very hot by now, if you know what I mean!), and Bush has nominated this relative unknown to be Chief Justice of the United States.

With Senate hearings set to start on Judge Roberts tomorrow, this sudden shift really could throw things off kilter. But maybe that's what Bush wants, so Roberts gets through before we really know enough about him. It certainly makes me think this guy must be very conservative, even more than I even realized before, if Bush wants him to be the Chief Justice for decades to come.

1 comment:

epicurist said...

I made the same comment and am on the same page as you. Bush moved far more swiftly announcing John Roberts as Chief Justice, then he did any committed relief efforts for those in hurricane ravaged Louisiana.