Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Space Shuttle Discovery Pinto

Were the shuttles made by Ford after they stopped churning out the Pinto? I certainly hope for the best, and I'd hate to see another tragedy. This, however, does not fill me with confidence.

NASA thinks they saw debris falling off this shuttle, too? Are these things made of balsa wood? I understand that there are huge stresses on the shuttle when it takes off (and re-enters), but that's what it's supposed to be made for.

Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne made NASA look silly. I realize that it doesn't have the size or capacity of the Shuttle. Also, it didn't go as far into space. Still, something really needs to change at NASA and fast.

Yes, the Shuttle is what we have for now, and we need to service the International Space Station. Still, I haven't had the feeling that NASA (or the Congress which, of course, controls funding) is in any rush to make newer, better and safer ways to get to space. I support the space program and realize that it has led to many great scientific breakthroughs, but there has to be a better approach for NASA. We can't let our government programs get passed by Virgin Atlantic!

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah... seeing that chunk go flying off has me worried too!

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog