Monday, July 25, 2005

People are idiots

In Penn Station this evening, a cop was checking bags of people getting on one LIRR train. He was posted at the top of the steps leading down to the track. Okay, fine. It's nearly useless, but I can handle that. What I can't handle, as I was walking past this track entrance (heading for a different train), was the woman in front of me who saw the searches and stopped in her tracks. She then stood and stared, as if she'd never seen anything so fascinating in her whole life. I had to detour around a board to get past her. What's the deal with people? It's bad enough when people rubberneck a highway accident, but this was ridiculous!

In other idiocy, I caught sight of an article being read by the person next to me on the train. I'm getting pretty good at reading articles in the newspapers of neighboring commuters. Apparently, the DVD of the film Alexander has further reduced reference to Alexander the Great's homosexuality. Oliver Stone was quoted as saying, "You cannot associate homosexuality with the military in this country . . . Audiences want their war films straight. From the day we opened, we did not do business in the South." I never liked Oliver Stone, and this really seals the deal for me. Nice going, Ollie. Just twist history (not that you've ever hesitated to do that) so you can make more money. Bastard.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I sw the 3-1/2 hour director's cut. He actually re-inserted (no pun) much of the gay content. But, it was still one gosh-awful film.

TCho said...

Ya, people are idiots.