Saturday, January 15, 2005

Oy, such a trip this has been

We're in Atlanta. We got here Friday morning, having flown from JFK on the 6:20am Delta flight. Well, actually it wasn't Delta. It was a (Delta subsidiary) Comair "regional jet". If it had crashed, I would have been comforted in my final moments by the thought that at least no one else would have to fly on that piece of crap.

Being a big guy, I could understand if the seat felt narrow (which, of course, it did--it's an airline seat; Calista Flockhart would be cramped), but these seats were too short! I've got short legs, but the cushions weren't anywhere near long enough to support my thighs. Poor Marc has his knees against the seat in front of him! I'd say this treatment violated the Geneva Conventions, but I don't think we observe them anymore in this country. We were NOT comfortable.

Even so, we made it to Atlanta. We checked into the Wingate Inn. It seems nice enough, but the beds actually are made of granite. Now, a firm mattress I could deal with, but these things have no give, no support, no... um, what are the words I'm looking for? Oh yeah... no quality!

So we're going to check out tomorrow morning, after one more night of torture (too late to leave now), and move to another hotel. It's a nicer place, and we hope the beds are better, too!

On a positive note, it's nice seeing Marc's mom. We've done some errands with her and even took her to get a new computer.

Looking to the less materialistic side of things, it's just good to see her and spend some quality time. Tomorrow morning, Marc will join his family for church (while the Jew sits at the house and tries to stay out of trouble). :)

A couple of sights from the trip? Well, I can offer a camera-phone shot of the Big Chicken (yes, that's what the locals call this thing--this is what counts as a landmark in Marietta, Georgia)...



Not only is this thing huge (56 feet tall), but the beak actually opens and closes. Sorry I don't have a better shot, but this is about as good as it gets with a cell phone from a moving car.

Then there's this young man...



His name is Scooby. Yes, I know he doesn't look like a Scooby, but he was named by a little kid, so Scooby it is. He's a very sweet dog, even if he does almost nothing but beg (for either food or having his belly scratched).

I suppose I've had worse trips. I just hope the new hotel has good beds!

4 comments:

A BOY & HIS TOY said...

That doggy is SOOOOOOOO adorable.-Jason

Anonymous said...

Safe travels babe. I loved Atlanta when I was there. Such food, such gay night life. You're preaching to the chior with the whole plane seat b.s. I still have a tray table wedged up my chocolate starfish from an Air France flight in October.
Cheers and Nashle,
k

Nicole said...

Oops... thought I left a comment already here. Well, anyway, hope you're enjoying your trip to the ATL. I also hoped you packed warm clothes -- it's damn cold here! Have fun!

Jennirhiow said...

Scooby is SSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!