Wednesday, December 15, 2004

They've got to be kidding!

I'm a science buff, and I find space exploration fascinating. Even so, some of NASA's projects really leave me scratching my head. Maybe this will work, but the Deep Impact mission doesn't sound like a big winner to me.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but is this the best approach? Apparently, this mission will crash an object into a comet, so we can see what's inside.

Uh huh. Okay. There's a West Wing episode in which Josh says something like, Isn't this a theory of physics basically disproven by Wile E. Coyote?

My sentiments exactly. Maybe this will work. Maybe it really is the best we can do, but this seems so... well... dopey. We can't do better than this for a quarter of a billion dollars? (assuming we even believe NASA's cost number)

4 comments:

Matt_Sweet said...

"Dr. T.I. Hulk, the mission's director, responded to critics by shaking his clenched fist and saying, 'Me smash!'"

Just a guy said...

Any idea what we are hoping to find in there?

http://ruggerjohnnyd.blogs.com

Jess said...

Not a clue, John.

Crash said...

I imagine that we will crash the probe into it, knocking it ever so slightly off course. Then, sometime after we elect the first gay (and/or black) President, the comet, now slightly out of its orbit, will smash into the Earth. The fundamentalists will have a field day (up until impact) blaming the comet on the election of the gay (and/or black) President.