Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Things get better

Well, the office had me on the phone again today, even though this was supposed to be my last day of vacation.

I don't do well sitting and waiting for things to happen when I know there are problems, so I went in to the office for a little while. I think things are calmed down a bit now. While that's good, the flip side is that I don't want to be "indispensable". That's just not a good role, no matter how it sounds. I need to beef up the skilled staff working for me, but the place is having such tight times financially that they don't want to spend on new people.

I should have at least 10 (better yet, more like 15) fully trained, skilled HR people working for me, based on the total number of employees at the hospital. Instead, I have three clerical employees and a temp. It's not a good thing. I told the top folks that I'd keep things together on the cheap for as long as I could, but it's really reaching the breaking point (a concern I expressed to my boss in no uncertain terms today).

On the bright side, I'm still enjoying memories of the vacation and enjoyed telling some folks at work about the fun we had. Later, I'll try to find time to sort through more of the pictures from the trip. Of course, I'll happily share some of them!

No comments: