Friday, July 23, 2004

It's working!!!

For the past few months, I've been dieting. We're doing a semi-Atkins thing. It's low carb, but we make sure we have veggies, fruit, fiber, etc., so it's not hard-core Atkins. (We think this is a healthier approach.) Marc has been dieting with me, even though he has very little to lose. He had a little extra around the middle when we started, but I'm the one who really needs to lose.

So, before our trip a few weeks ago, I went to visit my doctor. He's a top-flight doctor and a good person all in one (a tough combination to find!). Being the nice guy that he is, I can pop in and visit him if I'm in the neighborhood. So I did, and, on my way out, I used the nice, accurate super-duper electronic doctor's scale there.

Today, I had my annual physical exam, and the one thing I was worried about was whether I had lost weight.

Let me back up a moment, for a little history of the diet. For the first month or two, it was quite clear I was losing. Some old pants that hadn't fit in quite a while suddenly fit. Also, a new suit that had fit perfectly (custom suits are so nice!) was a couple of inches too big.

More recently, I haven't been sure if it was working. I mean, the new suit was still too loose, but it's hard to tell how many inches too loose. As for other clothes, I thought I could tell a difference, but things change slowly.

So today was a big day. How would it go? Well, the doctor told me I was in wonderful health. Blood pressure: 118/80. Okay. My heart, lungs, etc., sounded perfect. Good. My liver was the right size (probably because I keep missing Patrick's drinking adventures). Yes, everything was good, but I really wanted to know one thing... had I lost weight? Had the diet gone well enough that the few times we were bad on our trip wouldn't be enough to throw it all off?

Well, I would have settled for being down a couple of pounds. Instead, I found that I had lost 9 pounds in the last 3-4 weeks. I am soooooo happy! It's really working!

There's no reason it shouldn't. Still, seeing the proof of it has made my day. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! I wish I were so dedicated.

:)

Jess said...

Well, I still have a loooooong way to go. I would be far better off if I never put the weight on. But thanks all the same!

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.