Friday, July 30, 2004

A night out with The Blogger Boys


Doesn't he look serious and reserved? Okay, but this is Patrick in VT on a train. This is not to be confused with Patrick in Manhattan at a bar. The latter is a much more dangerous creature, especially to one's liver!

Last night, Marc and I finally joined in one of the nights out on the town, and, to borrow a line from a favorite movie, "It’s twue! It’s twue!" No, I didn’t have an intimate moment with Cleavon Little. Rather, I’m talking about my old friend Patrick. Yes, kids, as suggested by others, he is the quintessential devil in these matters, at least when it comes to his ability to pour alcoholic beverages into his friends. ;)

Yes, last night, Marc and I decided to ignore our work-related fatigue and head into Manhattan to join The Blogger Boys at The Townhouse for drinks. We had a great time and finally got to meet some of the wonderful guys whom we had previously known only through their blogs and occasional e-mails.

The night ended around 10:30pm—this, on the Patrick scale of nights out, rates as a premature end to the night (or, putting it another way, Patrick suffered from drinkus interruptus). For those of us who had to go to work this morning and don’t possess Patrick’s ability to drink the night away and still go to work in the morning, this was late enough. Fortunately, Greg joined us toward the end of the drinking and was helpful in dragging his drunken hubby out of there.

Fortunately for me, I drove in, so I had an excuse not to drink. Everyone else, however, fell victim to Patrick the Drink Pusher (hereinafter, “PDP”). PDP, who was quite generous in buying rounds of drinks, was quite aggressive in making sure his friends had a great time (great time translating into getting plastered). Marc had a great time, and it’s not so bad for me to have the man I sleep with go home drunk (after almost nine years, I’ll take any help I can get!). ;) Marc was, however, somewhat the worse for wear this morning!

For a fair chunk of the evening, I joined MAK in his retreat to the bar in the basement, keeping him company while he hid from the evil PDP (last seen setting up shots on the upstairs bar and insisting that everyone have yet another round). Also keeping us company was Charlie the bartender. Charlie was downright droolworthy (<--like that word? I just made it up!). He’s also a nice guy, and that’s always a lovely combination.

Speaking of MAK, he is as charming as can be. Before I ever got there, Marc was on the phone to me (we headed in separately, as I had a late meeting at work)--Marc had to tell me (in addition to PDP working very hard to get him drunk) that I was going to love MAK. He was right! MAK is wonderful. He’s funny and sweet. K. is a lucky man!

Another wonderful guy we got to meet is Byrne. He’s very down-to-earth, and he's funny, too. The strangest thing is that he’s single. Now, he doesn’t look like Dean Cain, but how many of us do? (I sure don't!) Even so, he’s a nice looking guy. More importantly, he’s a great guy in the ways that really count. Is the gay dating world too shallow to have some smart boys going after this lovely man? I don’t think so!-—someone with some brains, go grab this nice rugby boy before you miss your chance!

We met several other bloggers, but, lacking all of their blog URLs (and afraid I’ll forget someone!), I won’t list them here. Suffice it to say, they are a lovely group of people. Even though it’s hard for us to get into Manhattan for some of these events, especially when we have to work the next morning, we can’t wait for our next chance to hit the town with The Blogger Boys.

2 comments:

PatCH said...

Dear, oh dear. Glad you could make it out, guys. Hope Marc is doing better today. :-)

Crash said...

Hell, I'd settle for looking like Dean Martin and he's been dead for nine years.