Tuesday, March 13, 2007

That went quite well

So I saw the accountant. After saying hello, I said, "I owe you an apology." I then explained the error and that I should have double-checked before questioning his figures.

It actually was kind of funny. He looked stunned. I gather that most people don't apologize to him if they've incorrectly given him grief. Anyhow, once he absorbed that, he said, "first of all, you couldn't have been nicer or more polite when we spoke the other day, so there's no need to apologize." Then he said, "besides, it's your money. You have every right to question what we do."

Well, I remember my days with a private firm when I had to deal with legal clients. I remember how I just loved when they questioned my judgment. So I felt bad for having done roughly the same to him, and I told him so.

Anyhow, all's well, and I'm still getting a decent refund. Thousands less than I expected, thanks to the AMT, but still not bad.

By the way, once I corrected the error in TurboTax, the program's result and the accountant's result were very close. Just had to get rid of that pesky double counting. :)

No comments: