Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Such exciting times

The sad thing is that I've had many blogging ideas over the past few days, but I haven't found time to blog and have now forgotten what those ideas were.

Anyhow, I'm now officially between jobs. The new boss told me to feel free to take an extra week off (that would be next week), and it's tempting. The old job would pay me severance for that week (as they're doing for this one), but I'm anxious to dive into the new job. So I think I'll start on Monday as planned.

I might be more interested in extra time off, but Marc can't take vacation time now, since he's only in his new job a few months. So it's not like we could be traveling.

In the meantime, I'm getting little things done. Today, I started with a visit to the dentist for my semi-annual cleaning. I also was due for x-rays. I just love that. I have a strong gag reflex, especially for pieces of x-ray film. For some reason, other things aren't quite as bad on my gag reflex. ;)

Anyhow, all was well with my teeth. The dentist keeps commenting on my old fillings. He did them--and he did a good job--but they're getting quite old. I'm not looking forward to their going bad. I have enough silver in my mouth to make a tea set, and it's going to be a lot of uncomfortable and very expensive work when those fillings finally need to be replaced!

After the dentist, I went to Kinko's to make copies of various documents (W-2s, etc.) before giving the originals to the accountant so he can do my taxes. This will be my first time using an accountant for my annual tax return, but things are a little more complicated this year, due to some residual filings related to my Mom's estate. So I'll skip Turbotax this time. I just hope this isn't too expensive. (Anyone have any idea what's a reasonable charge for an accountant to prepare an individual income tax return?)

After that, I went past the veterinarian's to drop off some Sentinel (anti-tick, flea, etc.) pills. Our little boy changed strengths last time, and the vet is giving us a credit for the unused old ones.

Then I came back here. I'll head out shortly to meet Marc for lunch. After that, I'm running into Manhattan to check out a place for a dinner I have to organize for later this year. This year, I'm the President of the leading healthcare HR organization for the NYC area. (At least my colleagues respect my work, even if it wasn't enough to save my last job!) As part of my tenure I'm trying to upgrade both the educational programs and the social events. The dinner is one of our main social events, so I'm seeing if I can get it set for a nice restaurant in midtown. A lot depends upon the space they have for private parties and the cost per person. I know the food is good, since Marc and I love this place, but the rest is up in the air. We shall see.

5 comments:

Andy said...

I used to have an accountant prepare my taxes, when I was a professional singer. One year I had a bunch of 1099's, plus I'd earned salary in New York, Massachussetts, New Mexico, Illinois and Great Britain. I didn't know where to start with that. I think he charged $75, but I don't remember for sure and I've already packed up my files.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Gag reflex, huh?

Jess said...

Todd: Well, it's worse with x-ray film than it is with other things. ;)

Anonymous said...

Gag reflex, what's that?

God I'm such a schlub, not commented in so long that now you both have new jobs. What's it like to be a couple of workin' gurls? ;) Will this mean you guys will still be up for seeing a Wyoming queen in October?
kb

W said...

sounds like things are going well for you...yaaa!

i would probably start on monday too.

gag reflex..*giggles*