Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Tuesday post about a Monday treat

I didn't get around to sharing this yesterday, so I'm posting it now...

A Monday morning treat (and I need whatever I can get on Monday mornings!) is the "Metropolitan Diary" section of The New York Times. This is a half page of letters people have sent in, recounting various, usually humorous, encounters that reflect life in the big city. One of the entries struck a chord:

Dear Diary:
It was 11:35a.m., Lower East Side, corner of Madison and Jefferson Streets.
I had just left my medical office and passed a bicyclist, an older Chinese man who had been hit by a car.
I stopped to see if there was anything I could do. The man was sitting on the curb next to his bike but in no distress.
Me to bystander: "What happened?"
Bystander: "He was hit by the car. His leg was pinned under the wheel. We told him to stay still."
Me: "Good. Did you call 911?"
Bystander: "Yes."
Me: "Is there anything I can do?"
Bystander: "Yes. Are you a lawyer?"
Me: "No."
Bystander: "Oh... No."
--Dr. Louis J. Capponi


Thank you, New York Times and Dr. Capponi for bringing a smile. (Marc thanks you, too, since I often call him on Mondays and read these to him, as I did this Monday morning.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will I need a lawyer to be in the city? Will I need to sign a waiver to be allowed in the city? Should I carry exact mugging change?
k

Andy said...

My favorite Metro Diary entry was from this past summer, where a woman recalled being in the Hamptons and seeing a young girl wave and shout across a street, "Daddy, daddy, here we are!" Her mother admonished her, "Inside voice, dear." The puzzled girl said, "But mommy, we're outside." Mom said, "Yes, I know, but in the Hamptons we use inside voices even when we're outside."

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Oy!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

CoffeeDog said...

I wish there was a lawyer around when I got rear-ended last spring!

Knotty's going to New York, and I am gonna pout cause I'm not going. I've instructed him to take lots of videos of the NYC crew.