Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Is it a public relations scam?

The announcement of W's choice for the Supreme Court was accompanied with some clear, calculated public relations efforts--the friend talking about how he was a regular guy, the stories of his good sense of humor, etc.

So today, as a conservative group said it now opposes Judge Roberts because he once gave advice to gay rights advocates, I can't help but wonder if this is an effort in reverse psychology. This is a judge who, by any reasonable measure, is very conservative.

So what would someone like Karl Rove do to help things along? How about arranging for some talk of how he once gave advice to counsel fighting for gay rights? That way, we may say, "oh, maybe he's not so bad." Then have one of these neo-conservative wingnut groups say he's not conservative enough, adding to our impulse to say, "maybe he's more moderate than we thought."

I don't know that we'd get anyone better if Roberts weren't confirmed, but I really do smell a rat. These little events are all too convenient. Just watch, as little pieces of allegedly not-so-conservative Judge Roberts' history keep leaking out. I feel like we're being had, kids. People like Rove aren't stupid. Evil, yes, but not stupid.

7 comments:

Andy said...

Yes, BUT, Roberts really DID volunteer to assist -- and based on the LA Times report, his advice was invaluable -- on Romer, and that was back in 1996. No, I think they deliberately chose him because he didn't have much of a case history from the bench and therefore Bush thought (or his handlers, rather) that they could avoid all this wrangling over documents, etc., that has hampered previous judicial nominations and Bolton. And I'm very curious about the documents from when Roberts was White House counsel that they won't release; frankly, the only reason I can see that they'd want to keep those papers under wraps is further evidence that Roberts is less conservative than they'd hoped. I can't wait for the senate confirmation.

Matt_Sweet said...

With Bush doing the nominating, we were going to get a fascist anyway. This one just looks good on paper.

Michael said...

I'm very sad to say I agree with your analysis. This protest feels made up.

epicurist said...

It sends a cold shiver down my spine everytime I hear Rove being mentioned. If I say his name in the mirror 3 times, will he appear?

Lets just say, we Canadians watch with trepidation, amazement and fear.

Greg said...

I'm with epicurist, even though I live in California. Bush is trying to exploit this with the hopes of shamming someone into the court who will do his bidding, screwing the rest of the U.S.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yes, it's a all manipulation and smoke and mirrors. You're right.

He WILL be approved. I have no doubt...

Then Bush will soon have his second chance with replacing Rehnquist and that one will be even worse...

Gad!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

Anonymous said...

But wait a minute. Just because someone says that they have met a lot of great gay people doesn't mean they're willing to go to bat for us. Maybe they just like the floor shows and the gratuitous bj's.
k