Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Dogs are fascinating

If you know us, you know we have two dogs, Lexi and Tucker. Lexi was the queen of the house until Tucker came along. Well, okay, I suppose she still is.

Her Majesty

When Tucker came along, she didn't seem thrilled. Why did she need some other dog in her home? Things got even rougher when she got very ill a few months later. Tucker wasn't particularly helpful. There were times when she was so sick that all she could do was lie there. It was really bad... and he did things like step on her. Such a clod.

Thankfully, she survived after a long battle, and then made his life miserable for a bit. He deserved it. She didn't actually hurt him, but when she got her strength back, she made a point of reminding him that she's a lot bigger than he is.

With all of that said, they've found their way over the last couple of years. They have a somewhat adversarial relationship, but it's very much like young siblings. They work together on important things, like confronting the "mailman threat." But then they'll jump on each other and wrestle. Tucker will steal her food. It's all part of their relationship.

So this morning, Tucker went to the vet for his dental cleaning.

On his way to the doggy dentist this morning

I crated Lexi while I got Tucker ready and took him out. When I got back from dropping him off, I let her out, let her hit the yard and then gave her a treat. Then I made her breakfast... which she wouldn't even look at.

I've asked her several times to eat her chow. Nope. She'd rather sit in the front door and sulk. It's really funny. If she could speak, I think she might say, "Yes, he's a pain in the ass, but he's my pain in the ass and my brother. So where is he?"

A few hours later, and she's still acting strangely. We may not understand everything they try to tell us, but dogs have strong bonds and strong emotions. I suppose that's part of what makes them great.

No comments: