Thursday, June 18, 2020

19421942 by Robert Conroy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've occasionally read "alternative history" books, but I've found a number of them poorly done. Not so with this one. Robert Conroy has a solid enough grasp of actual history to have been able to put together a compelling story. This book isn't for the squeamish, as there is graphic violence and descriptions of torture and murder, as well as graphic scenes of rape as well as consensual sex.

I actually listened to an audiobook, but the version I have (narrated by LJ Ganser) isn't among the audiobooks listed in the editions here. In any event, the audiobook was well done. The above scenes that weren't for the squeamish had me cringing, as did the multiple uses of "knots per hour." That should simply be knots (no "per hour" in an expression of speed in knots). A small point, I suppose, but that made me cringe, too. A knowledgeable author should know better, especially for a book that's so navy-focused.

But back to 1942 overall. The premise is that the Japanese Navy followed their attack on Pearl Harbor with attacks on the dry docks and oil storage facilities, attacks they didn't actually carry out on that day of infamy. They then landed troops and took over the Hawaiian islands.

From there, the United States must determine if and how it can respond. The entire war shifted from the outset, and the real risk existed in this alternative timeline of the Axis powers getting the upper hand permanently. The plot and characters are interesting, and I found this entertaining.


View all my reviews

No comments: