Thursday, January 26, 2006

Every time I think there's hope...

I've heard all of the arguments about the Palestinians. How they're oppressed, living under occupation and so on. Well, the ownership of the land has been in dispute for ages. The people there, in some cases, have been pawns for others--certainly, their Arab neighbors have a history of making use of the Palestinians for their own ends. So I'm not going to say that this is a group of people that has it easy.

One thing that cannot be condoned, however, is murder. The group Hamas has a long history of carrying out terrorist attacks and murdering innocent civilians. These are horrible examples of humanity who deserve no respect and no authority. So what has the democratic process brought from the Palestinian people? What have the Palestinians said when exercising the right to choose their own leadership? They chose Hamas.

What a sad day. Maybe the Israeli hard-liners have been right all along.

I know one thing that's right. It's an old saying, but it's true. If the Palestinians (and the Arabs and the Persians, but that's another story) laid down their weapons today, there'd be no more violence. If the Israelis laid down their weapons today, there'd be no more Israel.

2 comments:

dantallion said...

Like many other people, I suppose, I really struggle with all this. My only disageement with what you say - and it's not even a disagreement is this: It is easy for us to look in from the outside and condemn them for voting Hamas (terroists) in, with our very clear distinction between right and wrong. But I also believe that it's really hard to know WHY Hamas got elected without actually having lived what they have lived, and been fed whatever (mis)information they've been fed. I think Hamas's election is a tragedy, but I also believe that they geneuinely may not have nearly the same perception of things that the outside world does. Election results are very strange things that don't necessarily reflect the real will of the people.

epicurist said...

What a tough post to comment on. I have heard arguments from both sides and can't always say that I agree with them. I do believe that terrorism against the State of Israel warrants Israels protective stance, but I even waiver on that. I simply can't comment on something I have never lived through, experienced or feared. I have my own thoughts and opinions, but am not sure any of them hold any sway when I haven't lived through the culture and history of the People and the Region. All I can say, is that I don't think this will be settled in anytime short. Pessimistic? well yeah. Humans simply don't have the enlightenment or capacity to believe that they can live side-by side in peace. Religion unfortunately through history has been the catalyst for war, and has perpetuated the need to fight. Additional to that is individual vendettas that carry though generations and brainwashed into their young, just don't disappear.