Friday, December 16, 2005

Rest in Peace

I haven't posted anything in a few days, and I planned to put something on here tonight. Perhaps a couple of photos I took on the way to work this week.

Then came upsetting news this evening. Usually, I'm not one to get too excited about celebrity deaths. However, tonight brings news of the passing of John Spencer (known to millions as "Leo McGarry" on The West Wing).



We met him once, while we were waiting to be admitted to a Broadway show a few years ago. He was trying to keep a low profile, and I can understand that. If lots of people had seen him, he wouldn't have had a moment's peace.

Even so, we were able to speak to him briefly, and he was quite charming. For those who just knew him as Leo McGarry, you should know that he had a lengthy career, appearing in many movies and television shows, as well as performing on stage. I told him that I loved him in West Wing and every other part I'd ever seen him in.

He was a great actor and a charming gentleman. He died too young, and the world is diminished by his loss. Rest in peace, Mr. Spencer.

4 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Oh how sad. I rememeber him on LA Law too.

dantallion said...

This is the first I'm hearing of it, and it really breaks my heart. He was my favorite West Wing character, of course, but I'd seen him interview several times, and the thing that struck me most was that he was real, genuine, a gentleman, and certainly NOT Hollywood. What a shame.

Will said...

John Spencer was an actor's actor--a true pro and an unaffected communicator who always put what he had at the service of the material. a very sad loss for teh profession and the public.

MzOuiser said...

I was devastated to hear about this. So sudden. I can't imagine WW without him. He'll certainly never be replaced.