Saturday, May 02, 2009

(One of) Mom's tree(s)

You may recall that the public library in our town planted a tree in honor and memory of my Mom. There also was one planted in a nearby County park by the county, and there's one that was given to us by friends that we planted in our back yard. (My Mom touched a lot of lives and many people wanted to honor her memory.)

Yesterday, on my way home, I drove past the library and saw Mom's tree. I wish I had gone past a few days earlier, since the cherry trees are a little past their peak in this area. Even so, it looked beautiful... fittingly. (Sorry, I had to stop and dab a tear. There aren't a lot of things that get me that way, but I really miss Mom and Dad.)

So I went back there today with the camera and took a picture. Mom's tree is doing nicely...

8 comments:

Patrick said...

Just lovely. It's wonderful not only that so many people wanted to honor your mother's memory, but I find it especially wonderful that trees would be the method of choice so often. I can't think of a better memorial. The choices of locations are also nice: home, park, library. That gives me just a few more insights into who she was, and why so many people loved her.

Jess said...

Thanks for that, Patrick. One of the pains of losing my parents is that I can't share them with the friends I've made in the years since they passed away. I can talk about them and share memories, but they're not here for people to get to know. If these remembrances help convey any part of what they were like, then that makes everything a little bit better.

Unknown said...

So beautiful. Plants and flowers are such lovely tributes to the loved ones we've lost. My mom's house has roses and a plum tree in the backyard, which she associates with my grandfather and father, so especially when the flowers bloom it's a nice way to remember them.

Joey said...

A great-looking tree, too.

Jess said...

Jeff: It just seems fitting, doesn't it? For your loved ones or mine, it just feels right. Like a renewal. Life going on and beautiful pieces of nature to remind us of the beauty they each possessed.

Joey & Angie: Thanks. It really is lovely, isn't it? I know she'd love it.

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

It's funny. I read this post earlier, but was so overcome with emotion, that I couldn't write you just yet. I SO know how you feel Jess (I know you know having been such a comfort to me when my mom passed away). I miss my mom so much too. Trees are a PERFECT tribute, and that particular tree looks like a "Mom Tree". Just beautiful. Hugs from afar.

Jess said...

Pua: Thanks, and I can understand your feelings, especially since the wound is so fresh for you. You know, it gets better with time. You'll never stop missing her, and, for better or worse, the pain is always in there in some form, but you learn to manage it and go on. It's like a bad injury that doesn't hurt so much with the passage of time; it will ache from time to time, just reminding you of the injury you've suffered, but you learn to deal with it. Time also lets you more freely enjoy the good memories.

Keywest said...

Jess...it's kind of heart-shaped! I love that. I love the idea of a lasting living memorial.