Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Hey, how about that stock market!

I'm telling everyone I know to relax and just ride it out, and I do take my own advice. Still, it's so hard to watch this happen. On paper (and yes, I know it's only a loss if we sell, but still...), we have lost more in the past year than... well, I'm not sure what's the best comparison. Let's just say it's a shitload of money that has disappeared.

Perhaps retirement is an archaic concept. Perhaps that's the issue. I have the wrong mindset! If I start thinking, "I'll just work until they find me slumped over dead on my desk," then the rest of this won't bother me! *sigh*

3 comments:

Greg said...

Quite a mess, isn't it, my friend?

A DC said...

I've already resigned myself to working until the urine smell from my dying bladder and leaky depends bothers my younger co-workers and they let me go...

Jess said...

Greg: It sure is, and it's extremely demoralizing! I suppose it will come back eventually, but this is an unprecedented mess! Then again, with the looming costs of social security, medicare and other programs, as the retiree population starts to outstrip the size of the workforce, some say this mess will look minuscule in comparison. Heaven help us!

Well, I guess we should enjoy today, since we don't know what tomorrow will bring!

ATG: I hope it doesn't come to that, but I know how you feel! Not a great scenario, but this isn't looking good!