Thursday, September 11, 2008

A long day

I was awake at 3am today. I had to be at work a little after 4am.

My hospital is participating in--and benefiting from--a fundraiser being run by a popular sports radio station here in New York. As part of this, I worked to recruit a bunch of our employees to work the phones at a call center. The first shift was getting on a bus at 4:30am, and it seemed right that I lead the charge.

So about 50 of us got on a nice, big bus and hit the road. Happily, the traffic was non-existent at that hour, so we made great time.

That first shift went well, including the two times I interrupted the entire call center for a minute of silence (at 8:46 and 9:03), in order to remember the two strikes on the World Trade Center.

While those were sad moments, of course, the morning went well overall. Happily, we were back on the bus before 11 and back to the hospital before noon. After that, I drove home, doing work calls on the way.

I stopped to do some food shopping and was home by early afternoon. I took a nice long nap, and now I'm happily relaxing with Marc. All in all, a good day, even if it was a very long day tinged with moments of sad remembrance.

No comments: