Saturday, July 07, 2007

Should they be saying that?

I didn't get enough sleep last night. Then I went to give a pint of blood this morning and followed that with a couple of shopping trips. By this afternoon, I felt like taking a nap. So I set the clock-radio and climbed into bed.

When the alarm goes off, it plays 880 AM, the CBS news radio station here in New York. Sadly, they sometimes abandon news coverage so they can broadcast Yankee games, for those who don't find baseball quite boring enough live or on TV. :)

Anyhow, the radio comes on, and I hear the broadcasters discussing how one of the players is "on the DL."

For all I know, maybe the guy doesn't have a wife or girlfriend, but, if he does and she hears that, he's dead meat.

Besides, professional sports isn't exactly a gay-friendly environment. So what are they thinking? If they happen to know he's "on the DL," they shouldn't be announcing it to the world! Geez!

5 comments:

dantallion said...

I'm shocked. The media are usually so repectful, discreet, and professional.

Anonymous said...

They don't even really need any concrete to throw off something that general. I mean, didn't some baseball player recently have ot hold a press conference just to say he's NOT gay?
Wasn't it Mike Piazza? I can't remember, but it sort of inspired "Take Me Out."

Jess said...

Was I too subtle? You guys know I'm kidding around, right?

They _were_ talking about the guy being "on the DL," but it has a different meaning (disabled list) in baseball. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

PatCH said...

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I, too, thought you meant the other DL, not the baseball DL.

Confusion abounds when the heats gets this unbearable.

Michael Vernon said...

*GROAN*