Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Adding injury to injury

Earlier this year, I was laid off. I liked where I was working and had no plans to leave, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I helped enough other people who got laid off over the past couple of years (that's what we did in my office at the old place when it came time for layoffs--we tried to help the victims with outplacement or putting them into other jobs we had open), so I was positioned as well as I could be to deal with my own layoff.

I coped, and I'm now in a good, new job. In the meantime, I've had to do a lot of work to get them to send me the paperwork for COBRA (which they claim they sent twice, but they're full of crap), but that's not what this post is about.

What's got me bent out of shape is what I learned today. The first year I was there, I couldn't participate in the 401(k) because that had a match--you had to finish a year before you got that. Instead, I was in the no-match 403(b). Fine. So after a year I went into the 401(k). The match was a pitiful max of 2% of my salary, but I'll take it. Well, actually I won't take it.

There's a 5-year vesting period on the matching money. Actually, I knew that, but it's not like I chose to leave. They laid me off! So why should I lose the matching money? I held up my end of the bargain! But no, they're keeping it. Bastards!

No comments: