Wednesday, March 09, 2005

New stuff

Funny how this works. When I get a new pair of shoes, I carefully untie them before taking them off. I place them side by side, and I keep them clean. Then they get a little older, and I take them off by stepping on the heel of one with the side of the other. The poor things don't stand a chance.

I thought of this this morning. As anyone around here knows, we got some crappy weather in the past day and had a couple of inches of snow and ice on the ground this morning. So I cleared the mess here and headed over to the new house. Marc was there first this morning and called to warn me about the ice on the steps over there.

So I brought some calcium chloride with me to the new house, ready to spread it on the ice. Then I thought about my the new carpet in my lovely new house. I thought of all the times I dealt with it being tracked in here on people's shoes where it would then get stuck to the carpet here ("here" being the current house, where I am typing this--you could tell that, right?).

When I got there, I decided that I'd clear the ice a little more with a shovel and not use that nasty ice melting stuff. I then proceeded to spread cardboard out near the inside of the front door, as I knew the upholsterer would be returning our loveseat today, and I didn't want anything tracked in.

The upholsterer arrived shortly thereafter, along with his assistant. As they carried the lovely antique (it was my grandmother's) loveseat into the house, this nice man stepped right on the ice, slipped and fell right on his ass. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt--and it was too soon after I got there for the ice melter to make a difference (probably)--but I felt bad. And the icing on the cake steps? When he came in, he commented on how lovely everything looked and then kicked off his shoes, instructing his assistant to do the same, so they wouldn't track anything into the house.

Yeah, I felt like a great guy. Well, the carpet was unsullied, and the upholsterer was unhurt. So I guess it's okay, even though I'll soon think nothing of walking all over the house with my own dirty shoes. Funny how that works. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that with my shoes too. I keep them really clean then after about a month I'm taking them off by stepping on the ends!

Anonymous said...

Who says that decorating isn't a deadly game. Glad you didn't kill the poor guys and there must have been a domineering mother or a queen tucked away somewhere for them to ditch shoes at the door.
Have a great weekend.
k

Andy said...

That was really thoughtful of him to take off his shoes...esp. after slipping on your steps. How's the place looking?

Andy said...

That was really thoughtful of him to take off his shoes...esp. after slipping on your steps. How's the place looking?

Andy said...

That was really thoughtful of him to take off his shoes...esp. after slipping on your steps. How's the place looking?

Andy said...

That was really thoughtful of him to take off his shoes...esp. after slipping on your steps. How's the place looking?