Saturday, March 19, 2005

Catch-22 (dollars)

My lack of employment has let me make significant inroads into the reading pile. Yesterday, since I had to spend the day babysitting contractors, I brought with me to the new house two magazines (one on photography and the other gay travel) and a book.

I skimmed the gay travel mag, and then I perused (as in, to read thoroughly) the photography magazine. The book was a 305 page novel. I read the entire thing. I'm not a speed reader, but I had most of the day to read it. So it's done.

This is where the problem comes in. I love reading, but these books cost money. Not all are twenty-two dollars, my post title notwithstanding, but some actually are more (okay, some are less). The problem is that I can't keep buying books if I don't have a job. That wouldn't be very smart!

I have a few books left in the stack, but this could soon become a problem! I just have to hope something new comes along soon on the job front, for the sake of the publishing industry. Everyone finger your crosses for me! ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finger your crosses! - Lol

dantallion said...

I'm the same way about reading - books actually have their own line in my monthly budget.

I need to be less of a geek.

Tuna Girl said...

Umm. That's what the library is for, dear.

One day last year I realized we were spending about $200 a month on books. We could have opened our own library! So I started going to the library once a week with the kids.

And now I only spend $100 a month on books. ;-)

Jess said...

You know, my Mom was the head of community services at the East Meadow Public Library, and I didn't even think of that! *hanging head in shame*

Actually, I've used the library many times, but I enjoy new, unsullied books. Sometimes, the books from the library have been soiled in one way or another. Yeah, so I'm a little neurotic. I don't like anyone getting to my newspaper before me, either.

Okay, so I have to be less picky, at least until I get a new job! :)

Things to do tomorrow: Add "go to library--tell them TunaGirl sent me." ;)

Randy said...

When I get done with my books I donate them to the local library. I keep a list of what I gave them and use it for tax deduction, that way I get a little money back to support my book habit.