Saturday, February 26, 2005

The religious right wrong needs to be stopped

Have these people no shame? Again, I find myself appalled at the behavior of the religious zealots in this country.

I just read an item in the latest issue of The Advocate about a "National Youth Crisis Hotline" that is listed in local phonebooks nationwide. Gay youths calling this hotline for help will encounter people acting at the behest of Horizon Ministries. These people will quote bible passages, tell them they are sinners and refer them to the repulsive Exodus International, an "ex-gay" ministry.

Young people in crisis, feeling the need to call for help, will encounter people who will condemn them for who they are. Some of these kids may be contemplating suicide, and these idiots will make them feel worse about themselves!

What's wrong with these people? How can they live with themselves? I just can't understand how people can be so cruel.

3 comments:

myke said...

that sounds like something in the mold of the infamous fred "god hates fags" phelps.

Andy said...

It's true there are some insanely cruel people out there, but in the interest of fairness we must also accept that there are many good people who truly believe that being gay is a terrible sin, and they are trying to help -- as misguided as it might be -- in the way that seems right to them. You'd do better being a role model who can inspire them to question their beliefs rather than condemning people for their most deeply held convictions.

Jess said...

Andy: That is how I try to live my life, but when people are either so hateful or so ignorant of the harm they’re doing, then I think they deserve condemnation. My partner is a good Christian, his family members are good Christians—they do their best to help people. I’ve had conversations with people who will never accept that homosexuality isn’t a sin, but they try to help people in whatever way they can. They don’t spend their lives inflicting their judgment upon others. These people, on the other hand, are making their own judgments, contrary to what I thought Christian values taught, and, whether through good or bad motives, are doing real damage to people in need.

So I will do my best to show people what’s right by setting a good example, but I’ll also speak out against those who I think are being destructive.