Saturday, June 16, 2012

There's another dog


This post may make you think I'm a complete flake, but it's an accurate report. Granted, the meaning is subject to interpretation, but... well, here goes...

For years, there has been a dog hidden in our bathroom ceiling. I know that sounds weird. Here's how it works. While showering, once the ceiling outside the shower gets steamed up, there's what appears to be the image of a dog's face that emerges there. Yes, I always figured it was a quirk of the paint (as opposed to the spirit of some family dog visiting us on a daily basis).

Then came today. This afternoon, we were in the shower, and at some point in things, I looked up and saw something. Marc saw the look on my face and knew something was up.

Marc: What?

Me: There's another dog.

Marc: Huh?

Me: On the ceiling. There's another dog.

Marc looked where I was looking, to the right of the dog image we knew about, and then he saw it. There was another one there. Perhaps just another quirk in the paint and how condensation collects there.

But he added exactly what I was thinking: "It looks like Bernice."

And it does. Not just a dog, but a dog that looks like our Bernice.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's just condensation from shower steam on ceiling paint. Maybe that's all it means when we suddenly, after all these years, see this... an image that looks like the dog we've been mourning for the past few weeks. Maybe, or maybe it means more than that.

4 comments:

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

I have absolutely NO doubt. It is she. :)

Jess said...

I hope so. I hope she's saying, "it's okay. My pain is over now, I love you, I'm still watching over you and I will see you again one day!"

There's also a fair chance she saying, "bring treats when you come!" :)

Rick said...

I'm so sorry for your loss this year. I've enjoyed the pictures and stories immensely. Thanks for sharing.

Jess said...

Thank you, Rick!