Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book review: Winston's War

Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)Winston's War by Michael Dobbs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a surprisingly good read! I suppose I didn't expect much from this book, despite reading an interesting blurb on it, because Barnes & Noble was giving it away for free, as one of their Free Fridays offerings. Yes, I realize that such things are supposed to build interest in the author or in similar works. Still, many of the giveaways are worth what I pay for them. In this case, that view was in error.

Winston's War is an historical novel, focused on the run-up to World War II, as Neville Chamberlain was trying to buy peace from Hitler through appeasement, while Winston Churchill was certain that this policy would only incite a tyrant. Of course, we know how that turned out. What makes this book interesting is the interplay between the characters and the political maneuvering in this very rocky time.

A well-written historical novel requires a good grasp of history. Being a student of history myself, many authors lose me through their lack of real historical grounding. That's not the case here. Mr. Dobbs did an admirable job of maintaining historical believability while throwing in a backstory that holds up and adds to the reader's interest. Overall, this is an excellent book!

View all of my reviews

2 comments:

Will said...

I've read one or two historical novels but always felt as if I were consuming empty calories. I much prefer actual history. Things go on in actual history that are better than any novelist's invention.

Jess said...

Fair enough, Will. I've read plenty about this time in history, and I did enjoy this book as an adjunct to such reading. Still, I understand your point.