Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A really nice benefit of my line of work

I've always felt that attorneys and human resources people--at least the good, resourceful ones--can make a real difference. Working in healthcare, I've felt that improving organizations like these can lead to better care, greater comfort for the sick and their loved ones and, overall, a better world. I know that sounds sappy, but I do believe in doing what I can to make the world a better place.

An added benefit--one which occasionally comes along--is that I can help friends and loved ones. Today, as I was sitting at a meeting in midtown Manhattan, I got a text message from a dear friend (I won't tell you who, in order to protect his privacy). The message said, "I'm heading for your ER" or words to that effect.

As it happens, I was sitting next to the Director of Emergency Services. I showed her the message, as well as the one that came in right after it explaining why he was headed there, and she was on the phone immediately. There was an initial snag, but she was able to tell her staff to make sure that prompt attention was given.

It doesn't make the medical issue go away--although I'm sure they'll take care of whatever it is--but if I can make things go a little easier in a time of need, I feel good!

No comments: