Sunday, November 16, 2008

*Steamed*

The bigots will lose. They'll lose, not just because they're wrong and I believe good will triumph over evil in the end, but because they're not constantly reminded of the current state of affairs by everyday things.

This morning, while watching CBS Sunday Morning, I saw a piece on Dennis Hopper. Among the things they talked about were his four marriages (Wikipedia says it's actually five), including his marriage to Michelle Phillips. That one lasted 8 days. He and the reporter had a nice chuckle over the 8 day marriage, as I sat here, resisting the urge to yell FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! at the television.

Mr. Hopper's longest involvement in the sacred institution of marriage was just over half the time Marc and I have been together, but the bigots have the nerve to say we shouldn't have the right to marry? Fuck them! This isn't a religious issue--we're not asking any church to marry us, just our government (to which we pay more taxes than the vast majority of straight people)--and I'm fed up. Not that I just reached this point. I've been fed up with the bigots for a very long time. Rather, this morning's story was salt in the wound.

That's the point, really. Every day brings some fresh salt for the wound. In a way, that's good. It keeps reminding all of us that we're being subjected to discriminatory treatment. More importantly, we're not the only ones who see it. Most younger people, whether straight or gay, see the truth, and they will fix this eventually.

Remember Dr. King's words (eerily, delivered the night before he was killed)?

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

I'm not planning on going anywhere, but the point is the same. I may not be here when the fight for equality finally is won, but we will win. People can be misled, but, in the end, Americans are good at finding the right thing to do. It may take a while, but this country will find its way to fairness and equality, and the bigots will be remembered like the bigots who opposed equal rights for blacks, women and every other minority group.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

YES!!!

A DC said...

I'm hoping it will happen in our lifetimes at least.

tornwordo said...

Amen!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I hope somehow this is reversed for the people in those states, what is wrong with two people in love wanting to be together for life. How will that tear apart families?

Greg said...

The religious groups want to keep marriage between one man and one woman, yet they turn their heads when people marry multiple times (Dennis Hopper, Brittany Spears, Elizabeth Taylor, etc.). I don't understand why they don't focus on that aspect of their marriages instead of picking on those who want the opportunity to marry.

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

With my whole heart I believe you WILL be here. We will all be here. Right will win out.