Friday, July 23, 2004

Who says Americans don't know good nutrition?

From those paragons of good nutrition, Krispy Kreme, comes a set of drinks that show how screwed up things are in the world of American nutrition far better than any Big Mac ever could. I mean, at least a Big Mac has beef, lettuce, etc. (or, to be more specific, for those of us who may remember the jingle, two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun). At least it offers some nutritional value.

These drinks, on the other hand, offer nothing redeeming that I can discern. I mean, I've certainly done poorly at watching my own nutrtion. I need to lose a ton of weight...but I never went nuts about junk food. When I ate too much, it tended to be real food; that, and luck (and genetics, I suppose), may be why I haven't suffered ill effects from being overweight so far. (Now I just have to knock off the weight before it catches up with me, but I digress...)

So the people at Krispy Kreme think it's a good idea to offer a drink with 160 grams of carbohydrates??? Yes, 740 calories and 160 grams of carbs in one 20 ounce drink (that being the 20 ounce "Double Chocolate").

You don't have to be dieting to be taken aback by this, I would think.

The icing on the cake, so to speak, is this: "Wednesday's announcement sent Krispy Kreme shares up as much as 3 percent in early trading." So I guess Wall Street sees the merit to selling Americans crap.

When Marc and I visited France, it was nothing but wonderful fresh food every day. Even the little sidewalk cafes had nice, fresh food. My personal opinion about the low heart attack rate in France is that the main reason is the 51 weeks of vacation they get each year (I might be exaggerating that number just a bit), but the lack of the crap that the American food industry throws at us constantly can't hurt them. Personally, I'd rather have a ready supply of farm-fresh vegetables like they have. Apparently, marketing studies helped our mega-corporations decide that we don't want that.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Now that's an interesting approach to nutrition! :)

And Marc is my partner.