Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I haven't even landed in NY yet, but...

I turned on my cell phone once I got to DFW, only to find a voicemail message from work. Apparently, my cracked staff (no, not "crack staff"--I did mean cracked) was entirely incapable of keeping things together in my absence. While it's nice to be needed, this bunch makes me feel way too needed.

A contractual increase was scheduled to take effect this week. So, before I left, I checked with them, repeatedly, to make sure they'd done everything necessary to get it entered. So what happened? Well, either they're even more incompetent than I realized or they know what they're doing but blew it off.

So, gentle reader, why don't I fire them all? Believe me, the thought has occurred. Thing is, I tend to give people as many chances to succeed as I can. I don't like firing anyone.

On the other hand, I have trained them, I have helped them, I have gotten them outside help. It's to the point that my boss, who helped place some of these people in HR before I ever started there, is seeing my point that there is a time to cut one's losses.

See? I told you my blog would be more fun while I was on vacation! sigh Anyhow, I'm already doing damage control, and I'm not even within a thousand miles of New York yet. It's not that I can't fix this mess. It's just infuriating that I have to, after having hand-held these people for so long.

Okay, time to go for more airborne torture now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh! How annoying! It's like that whole contradictory mess about delegating vs. "if you want something done right...." Sorry, Jess. Give 'em a good thrashing when you return.
- Bruce
kitty_litter.blogspot.com

PS - I don't think I like Blogger's comment thingy. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home ;)

Matt