Sunday, August 24, 2008

More thoughts on this latest bit of drama

As you can see from Will's comment on my prior post, our suspicions have been confirmed. Our online friend Matt has taken down his blog--or, at least, one of them. His other blog is still online, with his latest post titled, Deleting My Blog. I'm not sure what to make of this. Does Matt really exist, or is he as fictional as the recently cyber-departed "Nicky"?

Whether he's real or not, this is a sad day for me. Either he is a young man who did something dumb and won't own up to it, or there is someone out there who created this person and deceived me/us.

I didn't really expect an apology, but wouldn't that be refreshing? Part of me wants to go to the remaining blog and let his commenters know the truth, but then there's the part of me that is just sad for whoever is behind this. Marc, Will and I offered nothing but friendship and support, only to find that our trust has been betrayed.

As I said to Will, I will fight any urge to be more cynical and distrustful. One must take cyber-friendships with a grain of salt, at least until such time as one can meet the person in question. Perhaps some can build to higher levels with the ancient communication device known as the telephone (in fact, a friend we met through blogging called us just tonight, and we always get along wonderfully with him). Even so, until flesh and blood are caught in a big glad-to-meet-you bear hug, it's hard to be absolutely sure of anything.

With that said, I will repeat what I've said before. To my circle of friends whom I've met in more traditional means, I've added some wonderful friends through the world of blogging. Real-life friends who started out online. I won't give that up. Might I get fooled again? Perhaps, but I do think the real shame for that falls on the person who is dishonest, not on me or other kind-hearted souls like Marc and Will who just open ourselves up to these people.

3 comments:

Tuna Girl said...

I think the saddest thing to me is that there are people out there whose lives are so small that they have to create this kind of psuedo-drama around themselves.

Like you, I have many real life friends who started out as blog friends. And those friends have helped me through some of the worst times in my life. I'd hate to not trust anyone anymore, because what would I have done with out my blog-to-real-life friends?

dantallion said...

Well, I'm not real. Or unreal. Or surreal. I'm not sure which.

But you already knew that, didn't you.

;)

Cincy Diva said...

what a shame for you that this has happened. I am always accused by my best friend of being too trusting of people just met and could not believe I was going to meet people that I had only emailed thru the blogs when I went to Chicago. I found I was truly blessed to have done so. I wish I had the time and resources to meet others. I cannot live in a cynical bubble. I hope you continue to reach out and meet folks. Sometimes it doesn't work out but, sometimes it does, and I refuse to miss out on those times. Thansk for all your lovely wishes on my blog.
Hugs
Cincy.