Sunday, December 09, 2007

Interesting blackout photo

One of the memorable events of the last half decade in this part of the country was the August 2003 blackout.

On Friday, I hosted a seminar in Manhattan (part of my duties this year as president of a professional organization I've been involved with for years). The seminar's subject was emergency preparedness for hospital employees. As you can imagine, that's a topic that we've addressed quite a bit in New York.

During the seminar, one of the presenters shared a satellite photo taken during the '03 blackout, and I thought it was neat. Of course, that makes it good for blog sharing, so here it is...

5 comments:

Lee said...

Egads! It looks like someone took a bite outta it!

Alan said...

It's cool, but I think the photo is faked. Much more of SW Michigan, all the way north to Flint had no power, but the photo doesn't show that. Also, it just looks a little wacky.

Greg said...

Very interesting photo. It almost appears that a huge bite was taken out of the North East.

Jess said...

Lee & Greg: Yup, I agree. That's what's so amazing. A big chunk is missing!

Alan: You may be right, but the photo was presented by someone who I would think has the resources to get the photo from a reliable source. Of course, the government can't find its ass with both hands these days, so who can know what's reliable now?

PatCH said...

Ah yes, I too had heard it was fake". But it still makes for a cool photo, and it certainly gets the point across!