Thursday, August 10, 2006

The poor man!

The little newsstands found throughout New York's Penn Station are staffed mostly by men who appear Indian or Pakistani or of similar origin. They all wear nametags, and the names tend to be unusual by traditional American standards.

No surprise there, I suppose, but I saw one this morning that I really wouldn't want pinned on me. The man's tag read "ASHIT."

I wonder if anyone has clued him in. In any case, it was hard to keep from breaking into a broad grin... but I managed (at least until I was out of his sight). Yeah, I know. I'm bad. :-)

5 comments:

tornwordo said...

That's Highlarious! Poor guy.

dantallion said...

The government here in Quebec has a department whose sole purpose is to reject what they consider "unacceptable" names given to children born here. The logic being that they believe it emotionally scaring to the child if the parent choses to name their child Moon Unit, for example. While I find this type of gov't interference offensive, I probably wouldn't mind so much if your newspaper vendor decided to name his kid Ashit Jr. Poor fellow.

PatCH said...

It could be worse. He could have been a panhandler. And in a city where people are taught to not give money directly to panhandlers, he could have been faced every day with people saying, "Sorry, I don't give, Ashit."

Greg said...

One of my classmates in high school was (and probably still is) named PHUC. Pronounced "faux," she told us. Good times when we had a subtitue teacher in class...

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Actually, I kinda dig that name...

I'd add a W...

Awshit!