Thursday, August 03, 2006

A nice thing to see

For all the times people disappoint me, there also are the good moments. Little things that make a difference.

Yesterday, I was waiting in line to get coffee at a place near work. The guy in front of me went to pay with a five dollar bill. The owner shook his head and said, "here, this is yours," and handed him a ten. The owner then explained to the customer that he'd paid with a twenty the prior day and left without taking his change.

A simple act of honesty. Is it sad that I was so pleased to see this? Maybe my view of my fellow human beings has sunk a bit low. Well, whatever the case, it made me feel a bit better about people in general.

3 comments:

Greg said...

I don't think being pleased at this is sad. What is sad is how rare random acts of kindness are in this day and age.

El G├╝ero said...

It's small acts like that that renew my faith in people.

Wayne said...

Ah... the guy behind the counter has really good memory.