Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Amazing

We flatter ourselves, thinking we're the most advanced creatures ever to walk the earth. As someone who has a lot of respect for the other creatures with whom we share this planet, I don't think I'm as big an offender as others.

Even so, as with forces of nature, the things animals know and can do often greatly impress me. In fact, we know very little of the real intelligence and powers of the other creatures in this world.

One very intersting example: just a few minutes ago on ABC, they reported an interesting observation. Among the thousands of human victims of the earthquake/tsunami disaster, wildlife experts and relief workers have found no animal corpses.

Apparently, the animals were able to sense that something was coming, and they fled to higher ground before the deadly waves got there. So who are the smart ones?

We may have "higher intelligence", but the animals (well, we're animals--I mean the animals upon whom so many humans look down) clearly have skills and senses that are much more advanced than anything possessed by mere humans.

---------------------

One closing note: I don't want to just jump on the bandwagon of what some might see as a cheap blog post. I truly wish to share my feelings on passing of Jerry Orbach. He was a talented performer who brightened my life, as talented performers can in ways big and small. From what I knew of him--gathered from a distance, of course--he seemed like a very nice, decent human being. I mourn his passing.

4 comments:

A BOY & HIS TOY said...

I've read so many stories on people's blogs about this disaster in Asia and you're the first to bring up the lack of animal deaths. GOOD point!! Glad to read that here on your blog! -Jason

Anonymous said...

I was thinking this in the back of my mind during the past week since the tsunami. I've seen a few fish in the streets but aside from that no horses, goats, cats or dogs. Truly amazing to think what impulses transpired to get them to higher ground.

The saddest note would be the thousands upon thousands of people that were drawn to the water's edge to watch the tide strangely recede. A silent death sentence.
k

Anonymous said...

Yes, ditto on the bizzaro-ness of this realization.

I actually contacted an Orangutan sanctuary in the Sumatra region [BOS-USA] checking on the status of all the orphaned Orangantans... seems not one was hurt. All are safe and sound.

Jess said...

Knottyboy: Watching the interesting things the water was doing is an old, sad event. In Galveston, in 1900, when the US suffered its deadliest natural disaster, the people were drawn to the amazing waves. The waves, unfortunately, heralded the arrival of a massive hurricane. That hurricane killed thousands, running right over the island city of Galveston.

BK: Glad they were okay. I continue to be amazed by animals. They're so attuned to the world around them.